Sensory Evaluation of Fermented Food and Beverages of the World
Learn the skills to become a taste tester and enjoy exotic fermented food and beverages from around the world. We will take a tour of the globe by tasting indigenous fermented food and drinks like wine, sake, kvass, tepache, miso, kimchi, sausage and crème fraiche. While learning about their origins and going on a palatial journey, discover the science behind sensory analysis. Using the tools of industry, students will increase their sensory vocabulary; rediscover smell, sight, taste, and mouthfeel, and learn about preference testing, time intensity tests and more.
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Those interested in other cultures, foods, beverages, probiotics, and sensory analysis.
Learn how to evaluate smell, sight, mouthfeel, and taste of a product.
Students will receive a tasting wheel and be asked to use it to describe wine and sake.
Time intensity test with crème fraiche.
Students will draw a curve of how the intensity of flavor changes as they consume crème fraiche and tepache.
Students will do preference testing with sausages and kimchi.
- Introduce participants to fermented beverages and foods from around the world via taste and a short history lesson.
- Teach students methods behind taste testing.
- Discuss the science of sensory analysis, the information gleaned about quality and preference, and how it applies to industry.
- Briefly discuss how the results can be used in statistical analysis for marketing and product development.
- Students will be given a tasting wheel so that they can begin to build a vocabulary around sensory analysis.
- They will be participating in standard sensory analysis tests and analyze how they might be useful to industry and at home.
- By engaging in this taste testing, participants will learn to embrace new fermented foods and appreciate the nuances of different global and microbiological cultures.
Request this Course
With as many options on the beer aisle as today, it can be intimidating and confusing. It's also... more
Wild microbes live in the environment all around us, and ancient humans believed they were a gift... more
This video demonstrates common home-kitchen mistakes that can lead to dangerous cross-contamination... more
Sensory evaluation of food and beverages isn't just for brewers or food scientists! Have you ever... more
- 1 of 7