Wild microbes live in the environment all around us, and ancient humans believed they were a gift from the heavens. We have learned how to culture and grow those wild microorganisms to create incredible foods. Learn the secrets of traditional of wild lactobacillus fermentation while we make lacto-lemonade, wild fermented fruits, hot sauce, miso, sourdough starter, and more. Participants will experience TV food show magic and enjoy the tasty wild probiotic foods you will be creating.
- Fermentation enthusiasts
- Home preservationists
- Home ferment enthusiasts (homebrewers)
- People who like tasting wine and chocolate
- Through discussion students will understand the rich history of fermentation and fermented products.
- Through participation in “cooking”, students will learn how to create different fermented products.
- Through tasting, students will gain an understanding and appreciation of what flavors fermentation can impart to foods.
- After that food has run its course, hopefully they will understand the benefits of those fermented foods going through their system.
- Discuss the history of fermented foods like kombucha, kimchi, cheese, and sourdough.
- Walk through the health and preservation benefits of fermented foods.
- Become intimately familiar with fermented food by tasting it.
This video surveys examples of life science-related training provided by NC Community Colleges for... more
Asheville, NC has become a destination for craft beverage producers—with about 20 such facilities... more
Select a site, choose a grape variety, build a trellis, prune your vines, and harvest your grapes... more