Wild microbes live in the environment all around us, and ancient humans believed they were a gift from the heavens. We have learned how to culture and grow those wild microorganisms to create incredible foods. Learn the secrets of traditional of wild lactobacillus fermentation while we make lacto-lemonade, wild fermented fruits, hot sauce, miso, sourdough starter, and more. Participants will experience TV food show magic and enjoy the tasty wild probiotic foods you will be creating.
- Fermentation enthusiasts
- Home preservationists
- Home ferment enthusiasts (homebrewers)
- People who like tasting wine and chocolate
- Through discussion students will understand the rich history of fermentation and fermented products.
- Through participation in “cooking”, students will learn how to create different fermented products.
- Through tasting, students will gain an understanding and appreciation of what flavors fermentation can impart to foods.
- After that food has run its course, hopefully they will understand the benefits of those fermented foods going through their system.
- Discuss the history of fermented foods like kombucha, kimchi, cheese, and sourdough.
- Walk through the health and preservation benefits of fermented foods.
- Become intimately familiar with fermented food by tasting it.
Request this Course
This video demonstrates common home-kitchen mistakes that can lead to dangerous cross-contamination... more
Sensory evaluation of food and beverages isn't just for brewers or food scientists! Have you ever... more
Entertain your party guests with molecular cocktails that foam, spew dragon’s breath, freeze in... more
- 1 of 7