Submit this form to request this course to be scheduled.
Wild microbes live in the environment all around us, and ancient humans believed they were a gift from the heavens. We have learned how to culture and grow those wild microorganisms to create incredible foods. Learn the secrets of traditional of wild lactobacillus fermentation while we make lacto-lemonade, wild fermented fruits, hot sauce, miso, sourdough starter, and more. Participants will experience TV food show magic and enjoy the tasty wild probiotic foods you will be creating.
- Fermentation enthusiasts
- Home preservationists
- Home ferment enthusiasts (homebrewers)
- People who like tasting wine and chocolate
- Through discussion students will understand the rich history of fermentation and fermented products.
- Through participation in “cooking”, students will learn how to create different fermented products.
- Through tasting, students will gain an understanding and appreciation of what flavors fermentation can impart to foods.
- After that food has run its course, hopefully they will understand the benefits of those fermented foods going through their system.
- Discuss the history of fermented foods like kombucha, kimchi, cheese, and sourdough.
- Walk through the health and preservation benefits of fermented foods.
- Become intimately familiar with fermented food by tasting it.
This teaser video provides a brief overview of the craft brewing movement that has swept across... more
This video surveys examples of life science-related training provided by NC Community Colleges for... more
This is a quick look at an important addition to the local scene, both in social and economic terms... more
A look at the craft beverage training that takes place in tiny Wentworth, North Carolina, and the... more
- 1 of 4