Chromatography is a critical operational step in many pharmaceutical downstream processes. In this course, you will learn chromatography fundamentals, design, operations, key mechanisms, and performance testing. Laboratory exercises will provide hands-on experience in both Ion-exchange and hydrophobic interactions chromatography including practice with equipment setup, column conditioning, performance testing and column operation. In addition, use of automation software and column packing will be demonstrated.
This course is designed for entry level bioprocess operators/technicians, incumbent workers as well as professionals in the biotechnology industry with experience in protein purification and characterization.
This 4-day, 8-hour course covers the following topics:
- Protein Function
- Chemistry of Amino Acids
- Green Fluorescent Protein
- Column Chromatography in Protein Purification
- High Resolution Techniques
- Adsorption Chromatography
- Ion-exchange Chromatography
- Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography
- Affinity Chromatography
- Operational consideration
- Scale up
- Bubble traps
- Types of Column Packing
- Aktaprime Unit Operations
- Performance, Troubleshooting, Maintenance
- Cost of Chromatography
- Chromatography Control Systems
- Explain the science behind protein purification and typical operations and terminology related to downstream biopharmaceutical processing.
- Identify the components of a small scale chromatography system and operate the system using two separation mechanisms.
- Discuss the requirements for the stationary phase including resin chemistry.
- Demonstrate proficiency with performance testing of column, troubleshooting and maintenance of the chromatography system.
Colleges listed here when available.
Request this Course
This video is the third in a series of three videos depicting the major stages of industrial-scale... more
Denaturation is a process that causes a protein to unfold and lose its shape, and it usually... more
Plate and frame filtration is widely used in food, beverage, pharma and chemical manufacturing. Let... more
Chromatography is a common technique to purify a pharma product. It’s how we break down a complex... more