- General Biotechnology
Industry Immersion: The BIG IDEA
- Central Region
To solidify the connections between public education classrooms and industry, BioNetwork has created the IDEA (Industry Driven Educational Activities) series of workshops for educators. These workshops provide the participants with a tour of an advanced manufacturing site, a related and standards based activity for their classroom, and the opportunity to develop new industry based lessons/activities in a collaborative environment. Typically, these workshops are a single day event, however, due to their popularity we have created this expanded three-day workshop called the BIG IDEA. This workshop will equip educators with first hand experiences allowing them to answer “when am I ever going to have to use this” with confidence. By the end of the workshop you’ll be ready to talk to your students about advanced manufacturing and the types of careers that are available to them right here in their own backyards!
Workshop will run Tuesday 12:00 pm – 4:30 pm, Wednesday and Thursday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Explore the fundamental scientific concepts underlying biotechnology and the relevant laboratory techniques that test those concepts.
- Provide effective methods for teaching workshop concepts in the classroom.
- Determine valid methods for integrating biotechnology into course curricula per applicable standards.
- go home with over $ 60 in supplies
- earn 2.0 CEUs
- receive a copy of all workshop materials
- be provided lunch and refreshments daily
- be eligible for lodging assistance (subject to approval- please inquire at email@example.com)
Courtney is BioNetwork's Central Region Engagement Coordinator. She has a BS in marine biology from UNCW, a MEd in science education, and is currently in the final stages of a PhD in science education. She considers herself many things at once: informal educator, science curriculum designer, researcher, outdoor enthusiast, biology nerd and life-long learner. She is passionate, adventurous, and young at heart. She enjoys sharing her passions for science and learning and wants to inspire people of all ages, especially our youth, to eagerly engage in the natural world around them.
850 Oval Drive
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695